I haven't written a Frugal Friday post in awhile, mainly because we weren't being so frugal. I've recommitted to living frugally, however, and we've made some wonderful progress in the past few weeks.
Our first move was to cut all eating out. It's been difficult, as I'm still readjusting to meal-planning weekly and cooking daily, but I'm proud to say that we've resisted well.
Our second move was to take all the grocery budget out of the bank and leave the debit card at home. This has been amazingly useful. I'm loath to spend grocery money on unnecessary purchases.
At home, I've continued to declutter and downsize and also to incorporate fun storage solutions. One I've wanted to try for some time uses jars to store snacks. I've been collecting jars all summer.
|Jars of snacks, ready to grab.|
|The latest cucumber harvest.|
|Play 'find the cucumber.' There are three in this photo.|
|Two zucchini coming along.|
|Two more pumpkins.|
|And two more pumpkins.|
|Surprise! There is one more pumpkin.|
|The cucumbers have taken over the garden!|
|Mutant cherry tomato plants.|
Our other frugal accomplishments:
* Movie night on bargain Tuesday to see "Guardians of the Galaxy," which was awesome.
* Baking zucchini bread and stuffed zucchini using our zucchini and ingredients from the freezer and pantry.
* Using our refillable water bottles and taking them out with us so we won't be tempted to buy bottled water (frugal and eco-friendly).
* Packing Buggie's lunch each day of drama camp. Great practice for the start of school.
* Packing snacks for me and the kids when out on playdates and park visits.
* Purchasing discounted tickets to the county fair in July to attempt last week.
* Purchasing a discounted yearly zoo membership.
* Sold back two boxes of books to a local used bookstore from the books I culled and received over $30 in credit.
* A friend gave me a couple yards of two different fabrics in exchange for some zucchini and cucumbers.
* My husband makes his coffee at home before work each day and takes it with him. He also discovered that his workplace offers fruit-infused water, so he takes a water bottle with him, too.
It's been a good month so far. My plans for the rest of the month include a couple of crochet projects, a couple of sewing projects, thrift shopping, and as many park trips as we can fit in before school begins!